They seem too obvious and simple to be effective, but the more I become familiar with the steps, the more important I am finding each step is!!!!
A review: The five steps Emotion Coaching Parents commonly use to build empathy into relationships with their children:
1. Being aware of the child's emotion
2. Recognizing the emotion as an opportunity for intimacy and teaching
3. Listening empathetically and validating the child's feelings
4. Helping the child verbally label emotions
5. Setting limits while helping the child problem-solve
I'm trying to break it down into words we can easily memorize:
2. Recognize opportunity
6. Set limits
7. Problem solve
But then there are seven steps instead of five. And I don't think memory tricks will work here. We will just have to learn the steps through practise.
This is a dumb post. But it is midnight and my son will be waking up in about 6 hours wanting to play. :-)
I have spent most the night writing a paper on IQ tests. Are you for or against?
Thank you for stopping by!